Monday, December 19, 2016

Where has the last 25 years gotten us?

Just where has the last 25 years or so of educating our K-12 and University students taken us?  I was taught to read books and was expected to.  I was taught what numbers mean and how to add, subtract, multiply and divide them as well as some algebra and geometry and was expected to know how to do the calculations.  I was taught basic health education.  I was taught sciences, the history of the world, geography, where capitol cities of a country were and American history.  I was taught where all the states were and what their capitol cities were and could point them out on a map with no names.  I was taught how to use a checkbook and balance it, figure credit percentages and how much money credit costs.  I was taught respect for adults, my peers, law enforcement and the flag.  Also, the why those things deserve respect.  I was taught the Constitution, Bill of Rights, the three branches of Government why there are three and the importance of them all.  I was given physical education, running, jumping and playing games.




While writing the above I realized how much at my age I have forgotten but I do know all that was just K-12, and in College it really started to pile up.




Just where has the last 25 years of education taken our Country?




If you can find someone to blame it's not your fault.
How you feel is more important than gaining knowledge.
Police are bad, kill them.
The drug culture is now part of everyday life.
Rioting and anarchy are good.
Respect and honesty gets you nowhere, today it's lying and cheating.
Hard work barely keeps your head above water.
Teaching kids the value of a dollar with a minimum starting wage is bad.




All these changes have been observed by a lot of people in the country and I'm sure it makes them angry.  Not the 'angry white male' former President Bill Clinton recently spoke about.  But a whole lot of people who are saddened, worried and some just plain folks are angry at the direction our Country is going.  Because of that one heck of a lot of people decided to try a different route.  It may or may not work but at least they are trying and they realize the consequences of maintaining the status quo.






Coming soon; "Respect is as respect is given".  I'm giving you a heads up so you can learn the meaning of the word 'Respect'.

No comments:

Post a Comment